Saturday, June 30, 2007

Locally grown vegetables and herbs in Brooklyn

Living in Bed Stuy I have realized that my neighborhood had a strong community vibe. They have annual summer block parties ( isn't that every block in Brooklyn?) When I decided to join the community garden I knew I wanted an opportunity to grow my own veggies and cook them at home in my kitchen. I was a bit apprehensive considering the issues with possible top soil in the hood (glass bottles and trash). Clifton Place garden has it's own compost soil as well as they plant in above ground boxes. It's a awesome feeling walking to the corner and knowing that within a week I will have fresh herbs, sweet and juicy veggies. If your ever in Bed Stuy come by the Clifton Place garden on Bedford and Clifton Place. We have Tomatoes, green beans, corn, basil, you name it if it's green we have it.

No comments: